The secret to a killer ‘healthy’ bowl is the dressing that ties it all together. Sweet, salty, tangy, garlicky, this Roasted Garlic & Miso Dressing delivers the goods. In addition to getting your daily dose of undamaged fresh omega oils, adding Udo’s Oil to the dressing enhances the flavors, increases satiety, and improves the absorption of all the fat-soluble nutrients in the bowl. From a health perspective, adding carefully made good fats just makes sense. If you love a little heat in your bowl, add a bit of chili sauce.
HEALTHY BOWL + ROASTED GARLIC & MISO DRESSING
Serves up to 8 (Makes about 1 cup of dressing)
3 medium heads of garlic
½ tablespoon melted butter
ROASTED GARLIC & MISO DRESSING
6 tablespoons Udo’s Oil 3·6·9 Blend
3 tablespoons miso paste
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1-2 tablespoons brown sugar
4 tablespoons warm water (plus more if needed for desired consistency)
Pinch of sea salt and white (or black) pepper
FOR THE ROASTED GARLIC:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius);
- Remove the loose, papery skins and cut off the top of the garlic to expose the garlic flesh, but keep the skin intact and the garlic head whole with all the cloves connected;
- Drizzle a little bit of melted butter on the exposed tops of the garlic heads. Use your finger to spread the butter around so it fully coats the exposed tops of the garlic cloves;
- Place garlic heads on a baking dish and cover with aluminum foil;
- Roast garlic (with foil on) for about 40 – 60 minutes, until the center of the garlic is completely soft;
- Once the roasted garlic has cooled, press on the bottom of the clove to push the garlic out of its skin;
FOR THE ROASTED GARLIC AND MISO DRESSING:
- Along with the roasted garlic cloves, combine all other ingredients in a blender (a smaller one, like a magic bullet, is great for making dressings), adding Udo’s Oil and the warm water last, and blend until creamy. You may have to open the blender and scrape the ingredients off the insides of the blender and re-blend. Add more warm water to reach desired consistency, making sure not to over-water.
FOR THE HEALTHY BOWL ASSEMBLY:
- In serving bowls, divide cooked grains of your choice, wakame, and kimchi. Add a generous serving of edamame, slices of avocados, alfalfa sprouts, sugar snap peas, and steamed tempeh, and finally a drizzle of the roasted garlic and miso dressing over the top.
- Refrigerate unused dressing in a well-sealed glass container and use within a week.