Since mangoes require a tropical climate to grow, few states produce them—Florida, Hawaii, and California. While available year-round, Americans get over seventy percent of the mangoes they consume in spring and summer—mostly between April and July—and with most of them coming from Mexico, Peru, Ecuador, and Brazil. In other words, it’s peak mango season!
Take advantage of these special imports by turning them into a creamy smoothie. Be sure to use mangoes when they are well-ripened for maximum sweetness and flavor. If you time this well, you shouldn’t need to add maple syrup. Instead of throwing all the ingredients into the blender at once, this recipe is blended in two-parts to create an impressive, bi-colored presentation of mango, and then berry, smoothie. Ready, set, blend!
MANGO BERRY SMOOTHIE + UDO’S OIL
¼ cup yogurt
¼ cup (about 1 oz.) strawberries
¼ cup raspberries
1 medium-to-large ripe mango
½ cup coconut water
2 tablespoons Udo’s Oil 3·6·9 Blend
2 tablespoons maple syrup (optional)
PREPARING THE FRUITS:
- Hull the strawberries, slice into halves, and set aside;
- Skin and dice the mango into cubes, and set aside.
SMOOTHIE ASSEMBLY (2 PARTS):
- Place the mango, half the yogurt, and half the coconut water into a blender and blend until well combined. Taste and check for sweetness, drizzle in some maple syrup if needed (mangoes are usually pretty sweet, so remember to taste before adding maple syrup). If you prefer a more diluted smoothie, thin it out with more coconut water;
- When you’re happy with the texture and taste of your mango smoothie, drizzle 1 tablespoon of Udo’s Oil 3·6·9 Blend and blitz it for a second or two, before pouring it out into a glass;
- Next, combine the berries, the other half of the yogurt and coconut water, and a tablespoon of maple syrup (optional) into the blender and blend until well combined. Again, taste and check for sweetness and texture. You don’t want it too sweet;
- Before pouring the berry smoothie into the glass (on top of the mango smoothie), drizzle in 1 more tablespoon of Udo’s Oil 3·6·9 Blend and blitz to combine.